Council Tax

When you leave your current house you will need to request a final bill from your council which will be taken as a monthly payment.

You’ll then recieve an annual bill for the property at your new address. If you’re staying in the same area and local authority then you can use the same direct debit arrangement. If you are moving to a new area then you’ll need to set up a new account.

Helpful Tip – If you own your current house and it’s empty when you leave, you will still have to pay a council tax although at a reduced rate. If you are currently renting and leaving that home, you are no longer responsible for the council tax there.

Don’t wait for the ‘new occupier’ letter to come through the door after you have moved, your council tax responsibilities start promptly from the day that you move into your new address. They will backdate so you are just delaying the inevitable. This is why it is best to get on top of these things in the run up to moving house.