Housing Associations

Housing associations are private, non-profit making organisations that provide low-cost social housing for people in need of a home. Any trading surplus is used to maintain existing housing and to help finance new homes.

Although most are independent they are regulated by local authorities and commonly receive public funding. They are now the U.K’s major providers of new housing for rent, while many also run shared ownership schemes to help those who cannot afford to buy a home outright.

Housing associations provide a wide range of housing, some managing large estates of housing for families, while the smallest may perhaps manage a single scheme of housing for older people.

Housing associations offer similar types of housing as local councils – supplying housing to people on a low income or need extra support. They can also be referred to as Registered Social Landlords or Private Registered Providers of Social Housing.

There are two ways to apply: (you can apply to more than one housing association at a time)

  • Directly to a housing association
  • Through your local council

Once you have applied you will be placed on a waiting list for a suitable property to become available.

New housing association tenants may be offered a ‘trial’ starter tenancy which is usually 12 months. Following this you can become a fixed term tenant unless the housing association has extended your trial period.

Your tenancy may be ended by:

  • Giving the housing association 4 weeks’ notice in writing
  • The housing association is evicting you
  • Transfer your tenancy to someone else
  • Housing association needs to move you

For more information on Housing Associations please visit GOV.UK


No listings found.